Sunday, November 4, 2012

MY PROFESSIONS


I have a friend who got a bit miffed when she told her daughter I was an artist, and I jumped in to deny it, saying "Oh no I'm not! I'm just a person who loves to play with art supplies!" She also thinks I should try to do more with my writing -- maybe branch out into something like travel writing, where I might actually get paid (or at least, get some free hotel stays) for my efforts. She's not alone in those sentiments. I know my father (and probably hubby too) often wondered at my lack of drive -- at my seeming contentment with "enough", instead of the normal craving for "MORE!"

All I have to do is look at this photo, to feel positively euphoric!
I have worked in many fields over the years. I went from being obsessed with sewing, textiles and merchandising, to garden design and horticulture, to memoir writing and blogging, and have now segued into art journaling and mixed media, but I have never "professed" to be a seamstress, a landscaper, a writer, or an artist. I wish I could blame it on the fact that we moved too often for me to gain the necessary experience and expertise to build a flourishing career in one particular area, but I must be honest. I actually loved trying on all these different professions. In fact, if there's one thing I'm truly expert at, it's finding joy in and being passionate about many, many different things, rather than just one -- a true "jack of all trades, master of none." Well, unless you can count being "Professionally Joyful and Curious" as a legitimate job title?

2 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Sounds like a job title I would be happy to claim!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Linda, isn't that what you've been crossing off those months towards on your calender countdown?