Tuesday, September 22, 2009

PONDERING POPULARITY

Do you ever wonder about what makes a kid "popular"? Do they know special secrets that were passed down to them by their popular parents? If so, are the children of unpopular parents doomed to be unpopular themselves? Is it innate, or is it intuitive? Are some kids just born with a knack for being people-pleasers?

Here's what I wonder most of all: How much does that silly little matter, of whether a kid got to sit at the cool table in their junior high lunchroom, color everything they do and every choice they make for the rest of their lives? Quite a bit, I suspect. Take ol' Lance Armstrong, for instance, who hailed from Plano, Texas - the same Dallas suburb where my poor daughter went to junior high. I once read that when he first took up cycling, the thing that kept him going was telling himself "Each pump of these pedals takes me that much further away from Plano!" Considering how many times he's felt compelled to win the Tour de France, I'd say he's still trying to get away.

Hmmm, I wonder... could it be that not sitting at the cool table is the catalyst necessary for becoming a super-achiever? Are they all still telling themselves "I'll show them!"?

1 comment:

lexlane said...

It's possible. I know that I have a drive to prove myself, and I was the queen of the freaks at that school.
I didn't actually want to sit at the cool table, I had a good deal of contempt for the stupid antics those kids pulled on a regular basis. I did want them to realize that I was their equal, though.