Sunday, November 8, 2009

WHAT A GAL






A couple of the siblings, a spouse, a niece and a nephew all came to town Friday evening, and we had quite the weekend. The guys were here for an air show, over at Randolph Air Force base in San Antonio, featuring several planes my brother helped design. My sister Kathy tagged along just for the pleasure of my company. Niece Merrit had the option of going to the air show with the guys or hanging with us, and that turncoat chose the boys! Can you imagine?

Well, her loss. As it happens, author Susan Wittig Albert happened to be in town for a get-together at the Village Library yesterday. If I have an idol, or role model, it is probably her. Not only is she a talented author who juggles three popular mystery series at once, as well as the occasional non-fiction tome. She is also a gifted speaker, whom I always enjoy listening too. Most importantly, she is a tireless mentor to other women, and has helped me along in countless ways - not the least of which was introducing me to the Story Circle Network, which she launched 10 years ago, and inviting me to attend their national conference in 2008.

A close second to the meet-up with Susan, was this plate of panko-encrusted gulf oysters with arugula and remoulade sauce, which we dined on at The Leaning Pear today. Definitely a moaner!

No comments: