Tuesday, November 10, 2009

PERKY, SCHMERKY!

Do you ever get fed up with blogs that are just too happy and perky all of the time? Do you find yourself thinking "Well, crud, I'd be cheerful too, if I had her life. Let her come trade places with me for a while, and we'll see how perky she is!" Well, I have two little tips for you:

1. Things are not always as they appear. Most bloggers have just as much woe in their lives, at one time or another, as everyone else in the world. Blogging just might be their escape from all that, and so they choose to keep it as their happy place. Or maybe they choose not to share their troubles with virtual strangers. Or maybe they think no one would read their blog if all they ever did was gripe. Who knows?

2. Go spend some time with Nienie. She'll cure what ails ya. She's a young woman who truly knows what it means to have the rug pulled right out from under you in life. She had a chance to take the easy way out, and just chuck it all. Instead, she keeps showing up, day after cruddy day, and somehow manages to find joy amongst all the misery. Try trading places with her for a while!

Hill Country Hippie's #1 Common Sense Rule for Living the Good Life:

If you ever get tired of feeling sorry for yourself all of the time, stop comparing yourself to those who have more than you. Just turn around and look in the other direction!

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Well said on Rule #1; I think you've got an HCH Book of Quotations just by mining your blog posts. Thank you for naming NieNie's blog---isn't she an inspiration! I'm reminded every day of the quote (and its variations) making the internet rounds:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_Be_kinder_than_necessary_because_everyone_you_meet_is_fighting_some_kind_of_battle

I love this one by Helen Keller: “Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world.”

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks m.e. I'm so glad you love doing the research that I won't ever take the time to do! I'm forever thinking of snippets I'd like to quote in my posts, but usually can't get them down verbatim, or even remember who said it or where I read it. Not a good habit for a wannabe writer!