Thursday, July 23, 2009

SO FEW WORDS SAY SO MUCH


One often sees barbacoa tacos on menus around here, and I've always wondered exactly what that was. I figured it was the Spanish word for barbecue, and was about ready to try one, when I came across this recipe from Homesick Texan. I couldn't resist forwarding it to hubby and kiddos just before I left the house this morning, and when I returned, I had three replies waiting for me:

John - YUCK!
Alexis - That's just effing NASTY!
Austin - I'd eat it!

That right there tells you everything you need to know about my family's food personalities, and explains why I learned long ago not to ever try and sneak something like eggplant past my hubby (he's been known to barf it up in the kitchen trash can). Austin, on the other hand, has great prospects. If ever this computer engineering thing doesn't work out for him, I think he has just what it takes to become a great food critic, 'cause he'll try anything!

P.S. Many thanks to blogs.houstonpress.com for the above image.

4 comments:

Teri H said...

I've never eaten it but knew what it was... but the pictures makes it all so very clear... Nope, still not gonna try it!

The Old Man said...

Think I've just been traumatized!

musingegret said...

I'd be far more likely to try a barbacoa taco than to sample racoon or possum brains which I just viewed Andrew Zimmern doing on Bizarre Foods! What's the most exotic/unusual food you've ever eaten? Mine was grilled kangaroo in Australia---delicious!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hmmm, let's see - escargot, sweetbreads, tongue, blood sausage, frog legs. Nothing overly exotic that I know of, but who knows what we ate living in Asia, without realizing it!