Thursday, February 7, 2013

'TIS THE SEASON: CHOCOLATE-DIPPED CLEMENTINES

We're finally starting to see our first strawberries of the year being offered at The Bountiful Sprout, but a few weeks ago when the pickin's were somewhat slim, I resorted to buying a bag of clementines at the grocery store. Not because I'm particularly virtuous about getting my required number of fruits in each day, but because I had stumbled across something on the blog of Rachel Khoo (who writes from The Little Paris Kitchen) that really set my sweet tooth a-twangin'.


She wrote about a recipe she got from another blog called How Sweet It Is (the link is inside Rachel's post above), but the truth of the matter is, these are so simple to make, you don't really need a recipe.

All you do is peel and divide a clementine or two into sections, removing as much of the pith as possible. (yeah, I missed some of the hairy stuff on a few -- do as I say, not as I do) Next you melt some nice dark chocolate. Hubby and I have plebeian tastes, and actually prefer Hershey's Special Dark to those fancy schmancy high-priced bars, but use whatever floats your boat. You can melt it in a double boiler or in the microwave. I just broke it up in a little microwavable bowl, then nuked and stirred, in 15 second increments, until it was nice and smooth. Dip half of each segment into the chocolate, lay it out on a non-stick surface (I set a thin flexible cutting board inside a small cookie sheet) and dust the chocolate areas with a few grains of good sea salt. Then refrigerate for about ten minutes, so the chocolate can harden, before eating. (the flexible cutting board made it easy to pop them off) Embarrassing Admission: Ten minutes is probably a good bit longer than it took us to scarf down every last one of those suckers.

Now, for my hubby's sake, I omitted the sea salt from these. However, next time he heads down to the man cave to watch one of his Sci-Fi movies? I'm having me a three-way with some clementines, some dark chocolate and some sea salt. Oops! I guess that would be a four-way, wouldn't it? Whatever.

No comments: