Saturday, February 9, 2013

DISCOVERING WHAT I ALREADY KNEW

I've been thinking a lot about my "authentic" style lately. In fact, I woke up with a head full of those thoughts this morning, so I must have been dreaming about it as well. The other day I went through the stack of artsy/craftsy magazines I had accumulated, and just started ripping out any image that really sang to me, without stopping to analyze what it was that I liked about it.  When I was done, I spread them all out over my drawing table in a sort of free-form collage, and just left them there for a couple of days.


Every time I'd come into the room, I'd go over to that table and just stare at it for a while. Eventually, certain things became obvious. For instance, I like a strong focal point, and I prefer simple over busy.


I will always choose bright over pastel, and I especially like my bold colors when combined with a bid of black and a lot of white.


I like the rhythm that strong, consistent handwriting can lend to a page, and I enjoy having a bit of humor thrown in.


Anywho, I've also been going through all of my photos this week, trying to find a few spring-ish ones. I think a blog called "Seasonality" should practice what it preaches, and change with the seasons, don't you? Sooooo, I thought I'd replace those wintry pics in my banner come March. Looking for springy photos reminded me that I should be making a new spring to-do list as well, and that got me to thinkin' -- about the fifty or so pictorial lists I already have under my belt, and how they have morphed over the last four and a half years, from their simple-stick-figure beginnings. Just on a lark, I decided to pull out the binder I keep them in, to see which ones were my favorites, and what it was I liked most about them. Know what the best ones had in common?


Strong focal points...


layouts that were more simple, less busy...


rhythmic handwriting...


a few bold colors plus a little black and a lot of white...


and a healthy dose of humor.


Well whadaya know? My authentic style has been there all along, and I was just too oblivious to notice. Doh!

4 comments:

Heartwideopen said...

Love Love Love your post!!! So true and isn't it lovely to have your instinctive style confirmed???
HuGGs!
Debi

Hill Country Hippie said...

Debi, it is indeed! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Unknown said...

I constantly struggle between trying to find my style, while admiring yet not copying other people's styles I love. After flicking through my huge stash of books and magazines, and now trolling through countless blogs, I find that it can just be overwhelming. I love what you say - go back to our most successful pages from the past and look for similarities, then move forward within our own experiences and takes on life! I just travelled round the world and have 30000 photos to show for it - I realise that it must come from there!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Lin, hope you have a wonderful time reliving your travels through those photos. Many years ago we lived in Indonesia and Bahrain, and the photos from that period are among my most prized possessions. They are the secret to time travel!