Wednesday, July 29, 2009

TOMATO NIRVANA





We had a new producer join us at the Sprout last cycle, and they offered this beautiful assortment of heirloom tomatoes, that just happen to match all the decor in my house. How could I resist? I also got zucchini from another vendor, and more of Healthy Culinary's sundried tomatoes. Here are some of the things I fixed, using those few ingredients, plus a couple more that I already had in my larder: Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad, Caprese Salad, Jamie's Mothership Tomato Salad with some fresh mozzarella slices and grilled bread, and Fried Zucchini Strings with an egg and some leftover tomato salad. It was a very Bountiful week!

2 comments:

musingegret said...

MMMMMMMmmmmm...num, num, num. Did the heirlooms have good tomato flavor? They are all so beautiful. Thank you for sharing again. On another topic (last post)....just how **big** is that tank? Isn't water delivery real, real expensive? Do enlighten!

I talked to my mom tonight in Albuquerque and she mentioned that the central Texas drought made the national news over the weekend. They saw a program showing how low Lake Travis is and the old rusty cars being pulled out and the lake hasn't been this low in fifty years----I'd NO IDEA! Come on El Nino, come on.

Hill Country Hippie said...

It's HUGE! (12,500 gal. I think?) I'm not sure of the cost to fill it. A friend has multiple tanks, instead of one large one, and I think she said it cost them $150 or $200 to fill them all, and the water would last them a month or more. But they are a family of four, and most of the time it's just me here, with no animals and no garden to speak of yet, so a filled tank ought to last me a good long while.