Monday, June 10, 2019

DYING FOR INDIGO


My daughter never ceases to amaze me. I am forever the student, but not her. She takes one class in something, reads a few articles when she gets home, and next thing you know, she's the guru who's teaching everyone else how to do it! Which is how a couple of the Muses and I, and one of Lexi's good buddies, all ended up having a fun Indigo Shibori Tie-Dye adventure at her house last week.


Using things like rubberbands, popsicle sticks and twine, we twisted and folded our fabrics.



You must stir the dye very slowly and gently, so as not to create any oxygen bubbles.


When we first take them out of the dye and unfold them, there is a lot of green mixed in with the blue, but as soon as it is exposed to the air it starts to oxidize, and the green disappears. Which always makes me sad. I really like that green! Then it's onto the drying rack out in the sun.


Like I said, although Lex and I both took just the one Shibori class at Lucky Star Art Camp, she is miles ahead of me in this. In her research afterwards, she discovered something called stitch resist tie-dying, where you do rows of stitching in your fabric to make patterns, and pull the thread to create shirring, before dipping it into the dye. It sounded tedious to me, but was right up her alley as she loves doing needlework while watching TV. I have never been able to multitask like that.


The results were simply amazing!


A Fabulous Transformation of a Solid Beige Dress Got At A Clothing Swap


For Calvin and Little Sister
Hopefully, we will someday be able to get her to teach another class down here in Wimberley, when the rest of the Muses can attend!


No comments: