Monday, June 10, 2013

CONTROL ISSUES

We are heading out in the middle of the night tonight, to visit John's big bro and his family up in Ohio -- our first plane trip in almost two years. I have something of a love/hate relationship with travel. Once I'm up in the air -- where things are completely out of my control, and I know that there's no turning back -- well, then I finally begin to relax a little and start to enjoy myself. But these days right before a big trip? When there's so much to do, and so much that could go wrong? Well, that's when I'm a bit of a wreck, and everything seems to piss me off. Not my hubby, though, who seems just as calm as could be. Even that kinda pisses me off! Why isn't he worried about all the plants that are gonna die, the veggies that won't get picked, the fact that we have to drive all the way to Austin at 3:00 in the morning, the mail that needs to be stopped, or about being so far from all his doctors? Like I said. Control issues. That's why art and cooking are so good for me. They remind me that sometimes, you just gotta let go, and let it flow!

Speaking of art, I was flipping through some of my journals yesterday, looking for a home for those little paint palette flowers I made last week, when I came across this page which I started a long time ago, but never completed:


Bazinga!


As for cooking, well, my mantra at this time of year is always "Keep it fresh, keep it simple!" Which is why we had this for dinner last night -- a fresh tomato pasta sauce.


All you do is chop up some fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes, then toss them into a bowl with some minced garlic, fresh basil, a sprinkle of good sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and then douse it all with some good olive oil. Cover the bowl with a plate and let it sit at room temperature for several hours, before tossing it with the warm pasta of your choice and some freshly grated parmesan.


Notice I said GOOD olive oil. I happen to like this one, made...guess where?


Well, I guess it's time to say TTFN! Not sure if I will be online at all this week, but I'll do my best.

5 comments:

The Curious Holts said...

YUM! I love that same dish, but I never thought to let it sit!! clever girl.

I, me, love the days before travel then am terrified on the plane/cab/train/etc., then relax when I get "there." Control...it controls me.

LOVE me some Texas olive oil too!

Ro Bruhn said...

The flowers look fabulous on that background. Your salad looks delicious too. Safe travels, if it's any consolation imagine what we go through here in Australia to travel overseas. We're so far away from the rest of the word that even our closest neighbours are around an eight hour flight away and 24 hours for the UK.

Shelly said...

Those flowers ARE perfect for your background! YAY! And I am now inspired to make some tomato pasta for dinner. It was so great to meet you today! -S

Hill Country Hippie said...

I loved meeting you too Shelly. Hope your pasta turned out great!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ro, we used to live in Indonesia, and I remember those two-day treks back to Texas (with two small kids) only too well. I still miss Indonesia, but not those flights!