Tuesday, May 7, 2013

GARDEN PICKS OF THE DAY

Mexican Bird of Paradise
Took an early morning stroll through the Cantina Garden, to see how much damage Mister Armadillo did last night. The answer is, "Lots!" A dog would be the solution but, even if we had one, odds are it would be spending its nights in the bedroom with us, not out there guarding the flower beds. The good news is, despite his best efforts to uproot everything out there, there is still much to be enjoyed.


For one thing, I'm lovin' this mystery plant I got from Shoal Creek nursery in Austin.


Someone had mislabeled it as a particular salvia, but I googled that salvia and it looked nothing like this!


I'm fairly certain it's just some variety of shrimp plant that I'm unfamiliar with. (I lied! It is indeed a salvia, called Wendy's Wish!)


I'm also loving the way the hues in this toffee-colored Heuchera (aka Coral Bells) echo those of the little succulent in the foreground. Can't wait for them both to spread out and fill in that space.


Loving the crazy bloom stalk on this tall, paddle-leafed aloe that I picked on a whim, primarily due to that little bonus baby succulent that found its way into the pot. Never could resist freebies.



Wish I could remember the name of this grass. I'm pretty sure it's related to Purple Fountain Grass, but it gets prettier colors, and though it looks rather delicate, it is actually quite hardy, coming back year after year -- unlike Purple Fountain, which just can't take the cold.


The real stars in the garden right now, however, are these hanging baskets that Dear Hubby ordered...


'cause even when the plants in them look like crap, they're still just adorable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Beautiful and Beautiful!