Friday, April 19, 2013

WHAT'S REALLY ON OUR TABLES

Guess what? We still haven't heard back from the lab or doctors. My sisters, niece and daughter are having a big Shanghai Fest/Slumber Party in Dallas this weekend, and I've been anxiously awaiting the doctor's verdict so I'd know whether it is safe for me to go or not. Hubby believes that no news is good news, and has done everything but pack my bags for me, in order to convince me to go.  Most likely, he just realized that if we haven't got lab results by now, chances are we won't hear anything until next week. He knows from experience that nothing much ever gets done in a doctor's office on Friday afternoons, or over the weekend, and he probably can't face the idea of me being here, climbing the walls, for the next three days. Smart boy. Well, I'll give them until lunchtime, then we'll see.

Meanwhile, after looking at my worktable last night, I realized that I probably didn't give you a realistic picture of what it looks like most of the time.  I showed you what it looks like between projects, when all the little bits had been put away, and the rest was stacked in orderly piles. Here's what it looks like mid-project, which is most of the time.



Yeah, I still haven't put away those new art supplies I showed you a week or two ago. What can I say? I like lookin' at 'em!

My college buddy JoBeth sent me a photo of her creative space this week. She's a recently retired science teacher, Master Gardener, quilter, veggie grower and preserver -- a Texas country girl through and through, and her creative space is most certainly a reflection of all that.


Is that a fabulous pantry/laundry room or what?

My sister-in-law Priscilla started out creating miniatures for doll houses, but that eventually segued into a passion for polymer clay and jewelry-making. Below is a sample of what you might find on her Ohio basement studio's work table.

Love the Orangina bottle Pris!
Now my BFF Paula has never really had any hobbies. Her passions are books, the Project Head Start kids and families that she works with every day, and her 18 month old grandson Wyatt, whom she keeps every afternoon and most weekends. She doesn't have time for hobbies! Needless to say, I was a wee bit surprised when my phone pinged the other day, and I saw the header "Here's what's on my table!"

A work in progress by Wyatt Sanford, who seems to love pink, just like Pawpaw Tim!
Turns out she's been keeping a big pad of paper, markers, crayons, stickers, etc. out on her coffee table at all times, encouraging young Wyatt to explore his creative side whenever the urge strikes. Is that a wonderful grandma, or what?

So what about you? What's on your table? Email me a picture at becky(dot)lane(at)vownet.net.

No comments: