Sunday, August 19, 2012

OH-OH, GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!

Hey! Did I tell you about the little retirement village they are planning to build in Wimberley? Just heard about it last week. It's not going to be assisted living or a nursing home. It's just going to be a group of fourplexes, for people over 55, and it's going to be built right behind King Feed -- in walking distance to the grocery store, the library, Curves, the coffee shop where my Muses and I meet each week, and all the shops and cafes around the square! How cool is that? It's being built by the same people who did this complex over in San Marcos. They won't even break ground for at least two more years, but that's fine by me, because I'm not even close to being ready to leave this house we love so much. However, in another ten years or so, when I'm closing in on my 70th birthday and getting pretty darn tired of all the maintenance this property requires, and of having to climb really tall ladders to change lightbulbs and smoke alarm batteries (actually, I'm already hating that), and when we can no longer drive at night to meet up with friends, and they can no longer trudge up our steep driveway or handle our outdoor staircase, well, I expect that complex right in the heart of town, with all its built-in social opportunities, is going to be looking better and better to me. Why, living there would be almost like being back in the dorm again!

On our way to the Tapping Dinner, where I'm about to bounce my magic wand off the heads of next year's new  wing advisors.
My sister Kathy and I both lived in Carothers dorm at UT, though not at the same time, and absolutely loved it. We were both wing advisors -- the ones responsible for making name tags for all the doors, hanging jokes in the bathroom stalls, and organizing impromptu "Wing Flings" to liven things up and to help our fellow residents bond with one another. Unlike most people we know, she and I always thought living in a retirement home could be kind of fun, especially if we were in one together, because it would be like being back in the dorm again, and our rooms would be party central!

Despite all appearances, absolutely no alcohol was consumed during the production of this hilarity.
Now, if one could combine all that with being in the heart of this wonderful little town, right here in the beautiful Texas Hill Country -- finally able to experience that Euro-Village-Walking-Lifestyle one has always dreamed about -- well, I ask you, what could possibly be any better?



4 comments:

Marguerite said...

Being close in age to you, I find all this very intriguing. Keep me posted on further info. The walking euro lifestyle would be a dream come true. Love your dorm photos, lol.

Hill Country Hippie said...

M. - I'm thinking maybe John and I will wander over to the complex they built in San Marcos some time soon, to see what kind of "vibe" it has. I'll let you know if we do.

Susan J Tweit said...

I live on a former industrial property right off downtown in my small town, so I have the best of nature in my yard (starting with an industrial property meant it was easy to restore the native grassland and wildflowers instead of putting in a lawn) and am walking distance to everything I need. It's a wonderful way to live. I hope the complex in your Hill Country town turns out to be a great future home for you!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Susan, I remember being a wee bit jealous when visiting with you at one of the SCN conferences,and finding out about the wonderful places you could walk to from your place. We love our four acres up on the side of a hill, with its wonderful views, creek, and water catchment system, but there is a lot of maintenance involved, we are very car dependent, and my hubby has several health issues. I was so worried that we might have to leave Wimberley at some point, but this new complex they are planning just might be the perfect solution!