Wednesday, May 2, 2012

FOODIE TOUR: PART I

I've told you, haven't I, about the L.A.M.P. program that Hubby signs up for each semester over at U.T.? During the school year he attends lectures once or twice a week, on just about every subject under the sun. In summer, though, there's just a once-a-week discussion group, and a variety of in-town tours he can sign us both up for. We went on one yesterday that he knew would be right up my alley, since it had to do with food!
First stop was Savory Spice Shop, in Austin's Arboretum shopping center. The owner answered questions on anything we ever wanted to know about spices, and encouraged us to taste and smell everything.

My son would love this -- one huge wall section dedicated to curry spices and blends!
Two sections for chilies and their blends.
The back room, where meticulous records are kept on every single spice, to ensure its freshness.
I nabbed a small jar of Piment d'Espelette/Grey Sea Salt blend, but ran out of time before I even made it to the cocoa section. Waahh! Guess I'll have to go back. Next stop, just one door over, was Con' Olio -- importers of fine oils and vinegars.
One half of the couple who owns Con' Olio. Her hubby is busy getting their 2nd shop, in central Austin, ready to open.
If you were around back in the 60's or 70's, perhaps you remember tasting the olive oil that was available in U.S. supermarkets back then -- and hating it! It tasted and smelled a lot like crayons, right? That's because it was old, and probably rancid, by the time you got it. These oils taste absolutely nothing like that. They smell grassy and fresh, and create a soft, peppery glow when they hit the back of your throat. Yes, I do feel a bit guilty for the miles they have traveled to get here, but at least I also have a bottle in my pantry that was pressed right here in Wimberley!

I love the color of this wall. I think I need to repaint my kitchen.
Our only dilemma now will be deciding which of our new balsamic vinegars to drizzle over our vanilla ice cream tonight. Should it be this 18 year old traditional, or a bit of the wild blueberry infused balsamic? Decisions, decisions...

But wait, there's more! The best surprise of the day was yet to come...

No comments: