Sunday, April 22, 2012

SPLORIN': OFF THE BEATEN PATH

I went for a walk on the Wimberley Hike 'n Bike with my hubby yesterday. The main part of the trail is wide, crushed granite, but they later added lots of little mulched "nature trails" that branch off to the side here and there. I've never had the nerve to take one of the side-shoots when alone, for I have absolutely no sense of direction. If there were more than a couple of forks in the path, you'd probably find a story in the paper reading "Wimberley woman wanders for days, less that 50 feet from her car." However, since my hubby (who seems to have been born with an internal GPS system) happened to be along, I was finally willing to do a bit of exploring.
The Hike 'n Bike area is part of the larger, Blue Hole Regional Park project. Phase one, which was focused on the area around the swimming hole, was completed right about this time last year. Phase two involved the installation of some sports fields for the kiddos, and I'm not sure what else, as it's not yet complete. All I know is, that tepee-like structure, which we spotted from afar yesterday, sure has my curiosity up. Can't wait for the big "reveal!"

Oh, and as it turns out, I needn't have worried about getting lost. If you keep heading straight on the main nature trail, and don't take any of the side-shoots off of that, it eventually connects back to the Hike 'n Bike, so there's no need to retrace one's steps. Whew!

No comments: