Friday, January 6, 2012

THE LARDER GAME: WHAT IF?

One thing that seemed to be a major turning point in my confidence as a cook was realizing that, even though I no longer do weekly menu planning and mega shopping trips, I can still go several days without having to make a grocery run, calling for pizza delivery, or eating PB&J for dinner.  Three times in the past week we have had truly yummy meals that I pulled together from what was at hand, and my hubby was none the wiser.  It got me to thinkin', that this is a really good talent to have -- especially if you live someplace where you could easily get flooded or iced in for a few days, as I do, or even if your car was in the shop for a few days, or if you were putting in extra long hours at work and didn't have time to go to the store.

I started to call this post "Pantry Food", and to just tell you some of my favorite go-to recipes. Then I got to thinking that maybe I should call it Larder Food instead.  Larder is an old term that's coming back into use again, as more and more people realize that it's not those mixes and convenience items you buy  and stack on your pantry shelves that really matter, it's more what you keep in your fridge, your freezer, your spice cabinet, and your garden!  Now I'm thinking that, instead of just giving you my favorite recipes, maybe we could help each other out, so I decided to play a little game with you.  I'm going to give you a list of a few things that I always have in my "larder".  I want you to think about those ingredients for a while, and what you would do if you couldn't get to the store, then come back and tell us something yummy you could make, using just these items. I'll give you the recipe for the one pictured above, just to get you started, and will share several more with you in the coming week. Bon Appetit!

Ah, almost forgot, the list!

From the fridge:  
Cheese -- cheddar or mj, fontina or mozzarella, parmesan, feta or goat
Dijon mustard, mayo, or any other condiments you usually keep around
Roasted peppers or pimentos, sundried tomatoes, capers
Olives, such as Kalamata or Nicoise
Eggs, butter, milk or cream
Salsa
Fresh peppers, both hot and sweet
Leftover veggies

In the freezer:
Nuts, such as pine nuts, almonds, pecans and walnuts, and some of the spiced pecans I make
prosciutto, pepperoni, leftover uncooked bacon
a big bag of chicken tenders
frozen ravioli or gnocchi
leftover meats, such as roasted chicken, grilled steak, ham, etc.
leftover artisanal bread, sliced, so I can pull out just what I need for a sandwich or toast
small personal pizza crusts
tortillas
leftover soups and stews

In the pantry:
olive oil
an assortment of good vinegars
onions, garlic, shallots
canned tomatoes, whole and diced
canned beans - chick peas (garbanzo), white beans (cannellini), black beans
stocks - beef, chicken, veggie
crackers
spices, kosher or sea salt, peppercorns for the grinder
pizza and pasta sauce
potatoes (I like the little bags of baby dutch yellow)
canned tuna and boneless salmon
rice and pastas
flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, extracts, etc.
condiments such as Worcestershire and Soy Sauce (which I refrigerate after opening)

From the garden:
various herbs, such as chives, Italian parsley, sage and rosemary
lettuce, arugula, and any other greens you like to grow

CHICKPEA RAGOUT

2 T. olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup chopped green onions (if I don't have any on hand, I add more yellow onion, or shallots)
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 T. coarsely chopped garlic
1 (16 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1/2 cup chicken stock, canned, low-sodium
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat and add the onion and green onion.  Saute for 2 - 3 minutes to soften the vegetables, then add the remaining ingredients, except the parsley.  Return to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and boil gently for 15 minutes.  Remove the lid and boil a few minutes longer to reduce the liquid.  Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. (4 side servings or two main dish)  We just eat it with a slice of crusty bread, but you could serve it with some sliced sausage or cold cuts if you wished.


No comments: