Wednesday, January 12, 2011

THE URGE TO PURGE


Is it just me, or does anyone else get a serious urge to purge this time of year? It seems to be a very seasonal thing with me. In fall I enter into a nesting phase, where I have the urge to cozy up the place for winter. I pull out lap throws to drape over chairs, bring in plants from outside, force bulbs, display holiday nicknacks, set out tea- and cocoa-making paraphernalia, etc. Then there are all the new gifts that have come into the house for birthdays and Christmas, which must be displayed. For a while it all feels very cozy and comforting, but then one day, it doesn't. One morning, about the same time every year, I wake up, look around me, and think "Ack! Too much stuff! Can't. Stand. All. This. Clutter!

That day was today.

3 comments:

musingegret said...

I know what you mean. It must have something to do with looking out on the bare landscape that slumbers grayly and prepares deep underground and in the heart of trees for the inevitability of spring.

Once all the holiday decor is sorted and put away again for 11 months, I look at my surroundings and want to see flat surfaces devoid of 'stuff.' Maybe my eyes just need to rest on emptiness for a while as I begin to envision the outlines of the future garden.

It's definitely the season for meditative reverie.

Jessica said...

G and I completely went through that over NYE weekend. We purged so much! Now, we just have to get the energy to take it to Goodwill! :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

M.E. Yes, that's what I'm craving right now -- bare, flat surfaces.

Jess - We took a whole carload to them last weekend, but still have lots more to take!