Friday, June 18, 2010

ELEVATOR PITCH

I need a pitch. An elevator pitch. Are you familiar with that term? I recently heard it bandied about at a convention of memoir writers, though writers aren't the only ones to use them. An elevator pitch is a clear, concise and compelling description of a person, service, product, etc., often used as part of a fundraising, PR or marketing program. The name reflects the idea that it should be possible to deliver your pitch in the time span of an elevator ride, from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. In a way it's like speed-dating. Say you manage to trap an editor or publisher in an elevator. You've got this tiny window of time to pique his interest in your book idea, leave him wanting to hear more, before he escapes from you.

Good thing I'm not trying to sell a book. I have trouble just describing my blog. Seriously. People are forever asking me what I've been up to since I quit my job. I say, "Well, mostly I write this blog. Oh, and I volunteer with The Bountiful Sprout." So then they are all, like, "Tell me about the blog! What's it about? How does Bountiful Sprout work? What are you trying to accomplish?" A few seconds into my stumbling reply, I've completely lost them.

So, if you were trapped in an elevator with someone, and had to make them want to go straight to their computer and seek out Seasonality, what would you say? How would you describe it? Come up with some really good ideas for my pitch, maybe a tagline to use on the blog or when I submit articles, and I just might have to hold a drawing for a prize -- perhaps a recently described book on picking produce?

3 comments:

musingegret said...

I **really** want that Russ Parsons book so I'm gonna give this Elevator Pitch assignment a good throw.

Your blog title conveys eloquently the scope, voice and flavor of your content.

"Seasonality" alludes to the natural cycles of the planet's yearly trip around the sun, the forthright recounting of the seasons and eras of your life and the daily contemplation which adds the spice and flavoring to the ongoing saga of one woman's existence.

"A Common Sense Guide" pinpoints exactly your philosophical stance on reality-building. Not for you the insubstantial wispy thoughts of a latter day back-to-the-earth, live-off-the-grid, grow-our-own-hemp-and-spin-the-fiber-for-our-moomoo-like-caftans!

Your voice is one of honesty and candid evaluations of life lessons learned, experiences savored, and dreams still in the making.

"Living the Good Life" builds on the centuries-old discussions of the ancient Greeks as to the structure and forms of living well, living responsibly and living with zest and enthusiasm for each day's adventure.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/uc_bakaoukas4a1.htm

Whether it's
- sharing a non-recipe recipe or
- reminiscing on your evolution as family cook or
- sharing a story about your mother and the aging of a parent or
- proudly describing your son or daughter's recent accomplishment or
- worriedly filling us in on beloved hubby's health or
- gleefully reporting on the latest nature happenings around the country home
all of your posts are genuine and authentic and allow us, your readers, to know and understand the Hill Country Hippie a little more every day. That, in itself, is a joy.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Oh man ME, this would be hard to beat! You put some serious work in on this one. Guess I'd better get that book ordered. Anyone who thinks they can come up with a better elevator pitch describing this blog and its purpose - you have until the prize book arrives in my mailbox to give it a stab.

musingegret said...

Well thank you so much! However, I must have had my head (figuratively) in the milk jug to write 'moomoo' instead of 'muumuu'---bad birdie! ;-)