Friday, April 9, 2010

NAMING YOUR STYLE






As you probably know, finding one's own special style can be a long, arduous process. It took me years to pin down exactly which clothing styles best suited my body type and personality. Then, just when I thought I had it all figured out, I underwent a head-to-toe mid-life shift (both physically and mentally), and had to go through the entire process all over again. Thankfully, I've finally got it down to the point where I can quickly scan the racks in a store or a page in a catalog, and zero in on the items whose color, cut and ambience are least likely to elicit groans when viewed in a dressing room mirror. Figuring out that last part - that je ne sais quois that just whispers "Becky!" to me - took the longest. Even more difficult has been trying to put a name on it. Try going shopping for a special event, and telling the sales-clerk you're looking for something with a "Casual Bohemian Hippie Gypsy Cowgirl" look.

OMG! Guess what just came to me, this very second, like sparks going off in my brain and traveling down my arm, onto this page. The perfect name for my fashion style! I'll just start telling them I want the "Hill Country Hippie" look, and just about any Texan who's been around since the 60's or 70's will know exactly what I'm talkin' about.

I've had a similar problem with the naming of my new garden. When I was first trying to explain what I was going for, to the archi-friend who was to help me design and build the structures, I told him I wanted a Mexican Hacienda Courtyard Kitchen Cantina Garden. Quite a mouthful, huh? So, it usually gets shortened to "the courtyard garden", or "the hacienda garden" or "the cantina garden" - but none of those really paints the full picture. They just don't convey the way this garden makes me feel! Then, yesterday, as I was adding a few more plants in riotous shades of magenta, hot orange and lime green, I got to thinkin'. About how this garden is my own personal celebration of family, food, friends, fun and color. And then it came to me. It's a Fiesta Garden!

P.S. Anyone know of a beverage that comes in a coral, peach or orange bottle? That's the only thing missin' from my soon-to-be Bottle Tree!

9 comments:

Teri H said...

This is hilarious as David and I were just defining "my style" yesterday and I called it hippie cowgirl! I like your name for it better!

Teri H said...

Oh, and I love the name "Fiesta Garden" although I liked cantina garden too!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Once again, "Great Minds..." eh Teri? I liked Cantina Garden too, but people kept wantin' to know if I was planning to do a buncha drinkin' there!

musingegret said...

I had fallen in love with your first pic of the bottles before I even started reading your post! And they're for a bottle tree----how mahhhvelous! What came in those beautiful fuschia/pink bottles? I'll keep my eyes peeled for a peachy/coral/salmon bottle.

Hill Country Hippie said...

The fuschia bottles came from one of the Muses. She drinks a health tonic called Vanu (or something like that) that comes in them. Aren't I lucky - they're the perfect color for my garden!

Anonymous said...

But now you have to share with your internets where you got the bottle tree form!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

My sister gave it to me as a gift. I know she ordered it from some catalog - just don't know which one.

musingegret said...

Just found this link; you ought'a participate in this bottle tree link:

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2010/04/hillside-solutions-and-bottle-tree.html

Hill Country Hippie said...

ME - OMG, that indoor tree is amazing! I love the bottle tree chandelier too, which they mention in the comments, but not for $1,000! Wouldn't it be neat over an outdoor table though?