Friday, October 17, 2008

PAULA'S VERY HONEST REPLY

We serve it along with black eyed peas, which Tim loves. He hates the green peas. Yeah my grandmother led the life that many people today would like to, with some modifications like electricity! I never ever wanted to retire to the country, but with the economy the way it is I was wondering if it should be an option, with having chickens and a milk cow and small garden. Except that I do not think you save much when you have to build a pen for the chickens, feed them, worry about snakes etc. and the garden takes lots of water and fertilizer and sometimes you get nothing produced. So I think you are not saving much money or energy, just living a simpler life. My dad remembered the depression as just like any other time in his life, they were pretty much self sufficient on the farm, always poor but they did not realize it. They always had enough food. They did not worry about gas because they used horses, they did not have electricity, and they had a cistern to catch water. But it is also incredibly hard work. That is why my grandmother lived so long I believe . But we would all be whining today! The okra is good with a country style meal, like pork chops and black eyed peas. You must have corn bread with the okra gumbo! Now I am getting hungry!!! Let me know if you make the okra gumbo. paula

* * *

Paula,

Yep, I bet it is hard, but if I have to choose between dumpster diving and being homeless in a big city, cause I lost everything I owned in the crash/war/hurricane/whatever, and being poor but not realizing it in the country? Well, I'd be more than happy to learn to milk that cow!

Love,
Beck

P.S. And I bet your grandmother never stressed out over whether she should do Atkins, Weight Watchers, or Jenny Craig, either, huh?

No comments: