Monday, July 28, 2008

THE HIGHEST HONOR

The funeral I had to attend, a couple of weeks ago in Fredericksburg, wasn't near as terrible as I had expected. My friend Jane was probably the sweetest, most generous person I have ever known, so you can just imagine the wonderful things that were said about her. Her choir robe was draped over her empty chair in the loft, and even though she and Garey had only lived in Fredericksburg for two years, she had already made her generosity felt. This was not one of those generic, anonymous services that are so common these days. This was a woman who would be sorely missed by many, and to me, that is the highest honor one can hope for.

The most amazing thing about Jane is that before moving to the Hill Country, she and Garey lived in Pearland, and Jane also sang in the church choir there. One of her fellow choir members was a young man who had undergone a liver transplant 20 years ago, and was now in desperate need of another. When Jane died, her family approached the doctors to see if there was any chance that her liver might go to this young man. They were told not to get their hopes up, for the odds were not in favor of it being a good match. Well guess what? Next time this young man steps up into the choir loft, Miss Jane will be right there with him!

3 comments:

Christopher said...

The world needs more Jane Browns, not less. She will certainly be missed, though I celebrate that she was able to touch so many lives.

That young man sounds like he has much to be thankful for. Mel always gives me a hard time for being an organ donor, but I figure I don't really need all my bits to be in one place when I don't need all my bits anymore. If they give someone else a shot at living on, one final act of charity is a service I sincerely look forward to provide for a perfect stranger.

lexlane said...

There is really no reason not to be an organ donor. You have the potential to save dozens of lives and improve the quality of life of dozens more. When I go I want them to take everything they can and then just cremate the rest.

Christopher said...

Apparently it's a New Jersey thing. Most people I meet from there seem to be of the impression that if you're an organ donor, your "doctor" will let you die on the table to harvest your vital organs. I've tried explaining that doctors don't really do anyone any good by letting their patients die, but I'm dismissed outright as being a loony. Oh, the irony!