Wednesday, April 9, 2008

GREEN EGGS AND HAM, ANYONE?







As a rule, I try to support the Wimberley Farmers' Market as much as possible, but the last several times I have gone, there has been only one farmer there. So, today I decided to drive over to the San Marcos market instead - the primary reason being that cheerful looking fellow in the red chef's apron. That is Steve Blank, owner of Phoenix Rising bakery - yet another person who has shed a past life that no longer fit, and reinvented himself here in the Texas Hill Country (a phoenix rising from the ashes?). John and I are so happy that he did, for he is the source of those lovely hand shaped, brick oven baked ciabatta loaves that I use in my Italian egg sandwiches. This week I decided to try something different, and purchased a roasted potato and garlic loaf. I'll let you know if it passes the moan test.

I also sampled some yummy truffles that the coffee bean people have created (white chocolate filled with coffee liqueur and crunchy bits of coffee nibs) and nabbed some tomatoes, a cluster of adorable tiny carrots, miniature heads of cauliflower, red lettuce, and these amazing eggs. I'm so disappointed that the color in this photo isn't true to life, for those eggs are the most beautiful shade of moss green you have ever seen. Definitely worth the trip!

No comments: