Friday, January 23, 2015


We are keeping grandpuppy Guinness this weekend, and the visit did not get off to the best of starts.

Austin and Areeg had a convention to go to, and were planning to drop Guinness off on their way to San Antonio, sometime after dinner. Of course, Areeg had to drive in from Houston first, and never knows for sure when she will be able to get away from work/school. Around 8:00 PM Austin called to say she still hadn't made it in, so it was going to be very late before Guinness arrived here. He told us to go on to bed at our usual time, and that Guinness would be there waiting for us when we woke up.

Silly Boy. He should have known there was no way I would be able to sleep with them all out running amok on these rain-slicked roads and flooded low-water crossings! So I tossed and turned until 12:30, when I finally heard him coming in the front door. When I came out of the dark bedroom to greet them, it must have startled Guinness, for she began running in circles, barking her head off. She finally settled down when she realized who I was, and Austin said his goodbyes.

I had locked the door, settled Guinness on the sofa, and was headed back to bed, when I realized there was something stuck to the bottom of my foot, and it did not smell good! I hopped to the bathroom on one foot, flipped on the light, and discovered a good-sized dog turd hanging from the bottom of my big toe. I managed to dispose of it and get my foot cleaned up, gagging the whole time, then went back to see if there were more where that one came from. Sure enough, there were a couple more near where I'd stepped on the first. More gagging ensued. Finally I decided perhaps I should go back into the bedroom to grab my glasses, then turn some lights on. When I did so, I discovered a trail of little turds, scattered all over this carpet.

The only other time Guinness has done something like this, she had also been startled by a tall stranger coming towards her, which caused her to run in circles barking, spraying poop as she went. I suppose I have no one to blame but myself.

The dim light and busy carpet pattern made it rather difficult to locate all those little gems, and by the time I was finished (at least I hope I was), I was gagging loud enough to wake the dead! But not, apparently, my hubby.

Some things never change.

No comments: