Friday, March 7, 2014

NOT READY FOR AN OLD FOLK'S HOME

Just so you know, that's only a BB gun, and hubby has never actually shot anything with it...though he might one day, if that armadillo doesn't quit tearing up his garden. Of course, he'd have to catch him first.
I've been thinkin' a lot about clutter lately, and about how old people's houses always seem to get overwhelmed by it. Seriously. Don't you remember from your house-hunting trips, how you could always tell that old people lived there as soon as you walked through the door, if not before? How the yards had gone to pot, the furnishings were stuck in a time-warp from some past era, and there were stacks of clutter everywhere?


Well, I'm afraid we just might be headed down that path, if I don't do something about it soon!


Keeping our home fresh and clutter free used to be one of my top priorities. There was nothing I liked better than performing a good purge! But, as you know, we've had other issues on our minds the last couple of years and, well, I guess I sort of let things slide.


It's always hard to part with stuff (for some more than others), especially if there are memories attached. I have an idea, however, for a transitional system of slowly letting go of certain things, by gradually moving them out of sight, and thus, out of mind.



The first step in my plan is to clear off these shelves in the laundry room, which is outside, next to the garage.


Then I will move some of our excess geegaws out there. Less clutter in the house, more cheerful laundry room, right? At the end of the year, anything that I haven't used or missed will get boxed up and sent to the attic, and more excess geegaws will be brought out here. After a year in the attic, any box that hasn't been broken into will get donated.

Not sure how it will work, but it's worth a try, 'cause I'm sure not ready to be living in an old folk's home!
 

No comments: