Sunday, September 15, 2013

ON MY TABLE: A NEW PROJECT, AND A NEW CIRCLE JOURNAL

Well, I'm ready to give Jane's "Transparent Foregrounds" project another go. This time I'll try to do it up right, maybe even follow the instructions. To start with, I got myself some proper tracing paper. Now I'm in the process of gathering up all kinds of bits and bobs to form the textured under-layer. 


So far I've got part of a beautiful soap wrapper, some glistening marbled tissue paper, sheet music, a gift tag, another tag from some clothing or jewelry I bought, and a few bits of scrapbook paper. That red floral piece with two holes was the chopstick holder next to my plate when we dined at Uchi. That's the problem with this multi-media/art journaling stuff. Every time you start to throw something away, you end up thinking "Hmmmm, wonder if I could use this in a project someday? Maybe I'd better save it." Next thing you know, you're smothered in clutter! The other problem is that I'm absolutely loving the way these colors have melded -- so much so that I now hate the thought of covering it all up with tissue paper. So I'm not...covering it all, that is. Instead I think I might do several small tissue sketches, cut them out right along their outlines, then collage them on here and there. We'll see.

Meanwhile, Circle Journal number three has arrived at my house!


This one belongs to Jeanne, and she too has chosen to use an altered book as her journal. I can't tell you how exciting it is to examine each new journal that shows up -- especially now that you can see examples of several different hands at work in each one, while knowing that the same thing is happening to yours as it works its way around the circle. I won't be showing you the actual projects in them, as I don't want to spoil the surprise for their owners. However, rest assured, once mine finally makes its way back home, I will share everything that is in it! I do have permission, though, to show you the books themselves, and how their owners have crafted them.

Jeanne's Inside Cover. CUH-YOOT!
Her Title Page

My favorite part is this that you see above. Instead of a "sign-in page", Jeanne created several pages of these little rural mailboxes sitting on a fence rail, and each artist who adds to her journal gets to decorate one of her own.


How precious is that? Now all I have to do is think up something equally as cute to add to it!

No comments: