Wednesday, September 18, 2013

APERITIF: TRANSPARENT FOREGROUNDS TAKE TWO

I decided to give Jane Lafazio's transparent foreground project another go, this time using the proper supplies, and following instructions to the best of my ability. First I collaged all the bits and bobs I had gathered onto a page in my journal.


Then I stared at it for a while, to see what came to me. I'd used a couple of things that had French text on them, plus the bicycle with the basket looked a bit French to me. Then the fancy frame or mirror shape got me to thinking about some little cafes we had been to -- the kind with a chalkboard sign out on the sidewalk. So these are the images I ended up sketching on tracing paper for my foreground.


I played around with different arrangements until I was satisfied, then glued them in place.


 Next I added a bit of color and a few more details to the images.



 

Finally, since I wanted the background to recede and the sketched images to pop, I painted a light wash of color over the entire background, to even it out. Et Voila!


Know what? I like it!
 

3 comments:

Jane LaFazio said...

Me too! LOVE it!

Monica said...

It was an interesting technique and buying absorbent grounds. You page is very interesting and colorful

Monica Smith in Kerrville TX

Ariel said...

Love this technique. I too would love to give it a try.