Sunday, April 14, 2013

FURTHER ADVENTURES

After we got out of the movie Friday afternoon, John dropped me off at a store called Archivers, then went off to do his own thing for a while. Though Archivers is just a little shop that caters mostly to scrapbookers and such, he knows that I never manage to pull myself away in less than an hour -- and I'm not even a scrapper! However, the supplies that scrappers and art journalers use often overlap. The bad news is that this branch of Archivers hasn't even been open a year, and they are already going out of business. The good news is that everything in the store is now 40% off! Though I thought I was fairly well stocked on art supplies, I did manage to find one or two things that I really, really needed (cough, cough).

 
By the time he dragged me outta there, it was almost dinner time, so we headed back to Wimberley. I was planning a "clear-out-the-fridge" sort of supper -- not a favorite with my hubby -- which could be why he decided to take the back way home, through Dripping Springs. Perhaps he counted on my suddenly remembering this place that my British/Canadian friend from Indonesia, who now lives in Florida but has a daughter in Drippin', just told me about this week.



Oh my, my! They even had my very favorite wood-fired Rocket pizza -- a sauceless pizza with arugula and prosciutto -- a combo that I have never found on any other menu except at Mandola Market and Trattioria Lisina, both run by Damian Mandola.



Everything is homemade, including their "wild Texas sourdough" crusts, mozzarella made in-house twice a day, and a house-cured salami. It was the perfect ending to a perfect adventure!


Not only do the serve pizza, they also serve pie. It must be pretty good, 'cause several groups came in while we were there who ordered nothing but dessert! Which brings us to son Austin...


September before last we met up in Houston to celebrate his birthday. He's always been a pie-over-cake person, so after dinner he suggested that we go to a place he keeps seeing, called Late Night Pie, for a piece of birthday pie. Well, when we get there, it looks more like a biker bar than a dessert place. We stand there staring for a moment, then I turn to my son, saying "Uh, Austin? I'm thinking they serve late night pizza, not pie!" Well, guess what? Now we have the perfect place to meet up for his next birthday -- serving both pizza AND pie, and conveniently located halfway between Wimberley and Austin! (In case you're wondering, it's on Hwy. 290, just east of Nutty Brown Cafe, next to the Exxon station)

No comments: