Tuesday, February 19, 2013

GUESS WHAT?

Well, you'll never guess where we've been since yesterday afternoon. Why yes, we have been at the hospital! How on earth did you know? Don't panic though, because I'm still fairly certain that dear hubby has nothing more than a virus. Buuuuuut, because his fever had stayed pretty high for three days solid, despite all the Tylenol he was taking (too much!), and because the fever was messing with his BP and heart rates, and because any invasive procedure -- even one as simple as putting in a pacemaker -- comes with the risk of infection, I put in a call to his cardiologist. And, of course, he was out of town. And, of course, the doctor on call decided, just to be safe, we should head over to the E.R. at St. David's South (the hospital his cardio. operates out of) to let them run a few cultures, just to make sure he hadn't picked up some kind of respiratory infection or something. And, of course, the E.R. was absolute BEDLAM yesterday!

Hubby spent most of the afternoon on a cart in the hallway, shivering to death, but they finally got the cultures and a chest x-ray done around 9:00, and told us it would take about three days to get the results back, and they would call us. The x-ray looked okay, but because I'd made the mistake of mentioning that Hubby's breathing seemed somewhat rapid and shallow, the E.R. doctor decided maybe they needed to do a test to check for blood clots or embolisms, which came out ok. But then, because they asked what else Hubby had been treated for lately, and John mentioned "brain bleed", they decided he needed a CAT scan too, which also came back perfectly okay. And, after all that, the doc tells us he's still a little concerned about John's low oxygen levels, and would like to run a few more tests, so they were going to admit John to the hospital. JEEZE LOUISE! My hubby's been kidnapped!

By the time they got him a room (not a normal one, but a fancy one in Intermediary Care) it was around 12:30am, and I was way too exhausted to make the long deer-dodging drive back to Wimberley, so I just spent the night in that miserable little chair. I've just run home to take a shower, and pick up a few things hubby needs, then I'm headed back. Pray that they finally let him go on home today, and don't make him stay until the blood culture results come back a couple of days from now, cause I'm thinking we're already getting close to having the world's most expensive tummy bug! As if that weren't bad enough? His blood pressure and pulse rate -- the things that prompted us to call the cardio in the first place -- have been perfectly normal ever since he got to the hospital!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are an amazing woman. I hope you are finding some ways to take care of your amazing self during all of this!

I learned a knew recipe for breathing that is fun, easy and quite healing. If you are interested let me know. Today is my first of six classes in Radiant Self-Care. Yippee!

Unknown said...

Becky is already radiant! Keep making good decisions, B - like not deer-driving. And as for the tummy bug - better to be safe than sorry. Hope you're both home soon.

musingegret said...

Becky, my prayers are with you both; hang in there and as Deborah said: "Breeeeeaaaaattttthhhhheeeee". P.S. That's a gorgeous fountain---good job John!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thank you ladies. I find that a little bit of dark chocolate does wonders for my attitude. Especially if I let it melt slowly on my tongue, instead of swallowing it whole!