Sunday, June 3, 2012

NEVER-ENDING INSPIRATION: THIS POST PROVES ITS POINT

Well, I'm finally working on the "Week 3" projects in the Art of Wild Abandonment class. To tell you the truth, it's got me feeling kinda blue. It's been so much fun, I hate to see it come to an end. The good news is that people who took the class when it first opened, long before me, are still posting new works inspired by Junelle's projects on the class facebook page. So, at least the connecting and sharing, the best part of the class really, doesn't have to end.
Not only does Junelle have us stepping outside the box this week, she also has us stepping completely outside of our journals! For this project we were to start with a long narrow canvas, and she suggested that we might want to add a piece of decoupaged burlap or muslin to it, maybe even make a pocket of sorts. The rest was up to us. I think most people glued everything down permanently, as they do in their journals, but I decided to make mine a kinetic, changeable display -- an inspiration board, if you will -- where I can tuck bits and pieces that might lead to projects later on.
It all started with these two magazine covers, both designed by artist Jennifer Judd-McGee. I am so in love with them both, I just couldn't bear to toss them. Not sure if I want to paste bits and pieces into journal pages, or if I should try to do some drawings using that sort of Zentangle doodling style of hers, but I'm sure they will inspire something. I clipped a corner from each and tucked them into my burlap pocket, as a reminder.
Next I added that cute little notecard, not only because it reminded me of the lush geraniums and patinaed shutters of Provence, but also because I'm forever running across great quotes and phrases I might want to use later, jotting them on whatever scrap of paper is at hand, then promptly losing them. Now I can either jot them inside the notecard, or tuck my current favorite into the giant paperclip.
The red floral piece with two holes in it was found on our table at Uchi earlier this week, with a pair of chopsticks laced through it. It's there to remind me that ephemera is everywhere, not just in the scrapbooking shops! The bow was added simply because I've had a huge bundle of rafia sitting in my cabinet untouched for years, and really need a reminder to use the stuff, for pete's sake!
When complete, the piece was hung over another multi-media piece (which probably began as a glimmer of an idea in someone else's art journal) in my "inspiration corner" next to my desk. My daughter gifted me with this piece a while back, when I was stressing out a bit over my hubby's health, and it was just what I needed at the time. It reminds me every day to...
O. M. G! You won't believe what just happened! I was going to finish this post by adding "I think I'm finally getting the hang of that", but before I could type it in, I found myself thinking I should probably scribble a few additional things across the corner of that poster, such as also loving where you are and loving what you have. That's when the hammer bonked me on the head.

For several days now, I've been dragging my feet about starting the next class project. For this one, we are to cut a bunch of 4" wooden squares from a 2x4 and paint them with cute little things like we've been painting in our journals. I think the ones all my classmates have been sharing are absolutely adorable, but it's just not anything I need sitting around on my tables or shelves, when all I really want is to get rid of some of the clutter! But what if I were to use my blocks to complete the sentiments I wish to add to my "Inspiration Corner", and hang them below that poster?

It's really true, isn't it? Inspiration really does abound! All you have to do is look for it, with eyes and heart and mind wide open.

No comments: