Tuesday, June 5, 2012

HONEY VS. HONEYSUCKLE

Here you see our beautiful coral honeysuckle vine in early spring:
Here you see it a couple of days ago:
Were the deer to blame? No, not this time. It was this critter:
OK, well, to be honest, I may have had something to do with it. It was me that planted only one honeysuckle vine next to that wooden arbor, with nothing on the other side to balance it, which ended up causing the arbor to list to one side. John kept trying to shore it up, but the older and heavier the vine got, the more it leaned. Here's what the wooden arbor looks like now:
John didn't actually cut the vine down. He somehow managed to un-twine it from the old arbor, and lay it carefully to one side, while he installed this:

I like it!
The hardest part was trying to get the vine lifted up onto the new arbor. I had no idea one measly vine could be that heavy! My arms simply could not lift it up to him, so I just stood their with it balanced on my head, while he climbed the ladder and lifted it the rest of the way. Now all we have to do is pray that it wasn't too traumatized by all this, and that it doesn't go into a decline. 'Cause that would suck.

1 comment:

catislander said...

That's beautiful. I'll cross my fingers for your honeysuckle, does it smell as wonderful as it sounds? Cross your fingers that our lavendar and jasmine plants survive three days in the back of a Penske truck.