Monday, May 28, 2012

GIFTS

Know what I love most about my new art classes? It's that they are making me look at the world through new eyes. I'm seeing things in a whole new way -- things like sheep and donkeys and radishes. I've gone years without buying any radishes. Doing that little sketching lesson must have brought them back onto my radar though, for when I saw something called "watermelon radish" on Bountiful Sprout's last availability list, I found myself thinking "Hmmm. Why not?"
When I cut into that first one, the sheer beauty of it had me gasping with delight, then sent me running for my camera.
It tickled me no end that I was using "watermelon" radishes to make a watermelon salsa!
It was then that they came to me -- the words I had been searching for. Words to complete a page in my art journal. A page that had been crafted from bits and pieces of stuff I might normally have thrown away, but now found myself looking at through new eyes -- things like buttons, pretty napkins, crumpled lunch sack paper or the wrappers from those gorgeous Nectar soaps that John occasionally gifts me with.
A little envelope of goodies in the corner of the page, made from a cellophane bag my jeweler gifted me with, when he was changing the battery on my watch.


4 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

That radish is absolutely stunning!

Love your art, Becky. Not only it beautiful visually, it contains reminders about what is really important. Love your creativity!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Linda. I wouldn't call it art, but I'd definitely call it fun. It's so wonderful to finally learn that it's OK to draw outside the lines!

Jodiann Cates said...

Hey Becky! Thanks for stopping by my blog and reminding me I am not alone in my nerd love! Lovely Journal Page my dear!!
XOXOXO
Jodiann

Hill Country Hippie said...

It was my pleasure, Jodiann. Hey, you mentioned Texas Rat Snakes in one of your posts. Does that mean you are in Texas too?