Friday, April 27, 2012

COOKIN' WITH PINTEREST

I was in Brookshire Bros. yesterday, trying to come up with a quickie meatless entree that I could fix for supper, when I happened to spot some pretty portobellos. I suddenly remembered a yummy looking recipe I had pinned on my "eats & treats" Pinterest board a while back, and decided to give it a go. So this is what we ended up having for dinner last night.
PORTOBELLO PARM (2 servings)
(my riff on a recipe from Mary at One Perfect Bite)

1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
1/2 c.(1 1/2 oz.) grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
2 T. minced parsley
1 tsp. salt
3/8 c. egg substitute (or about 2 small eggs)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram leaves (she didn't say whether this was fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano leaves (again, not sure if she meant fresh or dried)
2 stemmed portobellos, brushed clean
3/4 c. (3 oz.) shredded mozzarella (I didn't have quite enough, so I added a bit of cheddar, too)
1/2 c. tomato sauce (I used pasta sauce)
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with foil and place baking rack inside pan. Spray rack with cooking spray.

Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 c. Parmesan, 1 1/2 T. parsley, paprika and 1/2 tsp. salt in shallow dish.  In separate dish, combine egg, 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, marjoram, garlic powder and oregano.

Dip both sides of mushrooms in egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs until both sides are well coated. Transfer, stem side down, to baking rack. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray and bake 15-20 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven. Reset oven to 450 F.

Carefully flip mushrooms over. Cover each with 1/4 c. tomato sauce, half of the mozzarella, and 2 T. of Parmesan. Spray tops lightly. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and mushrooms are warmed through, about 10 minutes (or less!). Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.

Image from Munchin With Munchkin
A while back I also stumbled across a  recipe for Sundried Tomato Hummus that sounded pretty darn yummy, on a blog called Munchin With Munchkin. I pinned that one to Pinterest myself! I fixed it as our main course earlier this week, and served it with some of those delish Milton's crackers (pita would be good too) along with a nice chunk of cheese and an assortment of pickled veggies. Plus, we've been pulling it out every evening since, to munch on as our aperitif while I cook dinner. One can of garbanzos goes a really long way, for just two people! Anyhoo, click on her blog name there to find the recipe for this, and a ton of other good stuff. And, if you're bored with your nightly repertoire, try trolling Pinterest!

No comments: