Sunday, March 25, 2012

WHO TO TRUST?

Image from moplants.com
I don't know about you, but I am absolutely fed up with trying to figure out what's true, and what isn't, when it comes to health and nutrition. I'm sick of having all the "experts" telling us "This is it! This is what you have to do to be healthy!", then turning around a few years later and saying "Oops, sorry! Turns out that was a bunch of hooey. This new program is the one you need to follow. Trust me!"

Now we've got at least three different factions out there telling us what to eat. We've got the paleos, the clean-eaters, and the fork-over-knifers. There seem to be experts in each group with some impressive credentials to back them up, each appearing to have done their research, yet they have somehow ended up touting paths that, in many ways, are diametrically opposed to one another. So how is the average person supposed to know what's true and what isn't? How do I know who to trust?

I guess, in the end, there's only one person I can trust. Myself. My common sense. My gut has always told me to shy away from anyone who claims his or her way is the only way. That somehow they are the only one in the whole wide world who was smart enough to figure it all out. The only one whom God has gifted with this information! My gut tells me to look instead to communities, entire cultures even, who have managed to just putter happily along, generation after generation, not paying any attention whatsoever to the so-called experts. People who manage to outlive us all, and who laugh at all our angst and obsession. People who are living the good life.


No comments: