Wednesday, January 4, 2012

ORDINARY DAYS

Know what I love most about my journaling and blogging habit?  I love the way it opens my eyes to the wonder of ordinary days.  There was a time when it seemed like most of my days went by in a blur.  I always found myself wondering where the time had gone, and why I didn't have more to show for it.

Now I've discovered that if I start my days by just dumping all the clutter from my brain out onto the pages of a journal, and downloading all the new photos from my camera, when I take the time to sift through it all, I always find that those ordinary days weren't so ordinary after all.  In fact, they were studded with precious gems -- gems that fill me with gratitude.  Don't believe me? Here is a typical journal entry, from an ordinary day in early December.  Notice how my attitude changes from the time I picked up my pen, until I laid it down again.

"It's been a busy couple of days!  Can't really remember accomplishing much, just know that it whizzed by in a flash.  Let's see, I do remember John and I meeting Lex in Austin on Tuesday, to have lunch and to see Hugo (what a great movie!).  Oh yeah, Monday I had to go back to the periodontist for a check up.  Wednesday and Thursday are kind of a blur, other than going to Zumba and getting my giant box of Christmas gifts for the Lane women mailed off to Ohio.  Oh, and making that quiche and baked tomatoes with goat cheese and bread crumbs for dinner (Yum!).  Oh, wait!  I just remembered something else about Monday!  After my doctors appointment I went to Wal-mart and filled a shopping cart with all kinds of toys that I could donate.  That was fun!  I also treated myself to a new Christmas book at Hastings, and lunch at Wingstop.  That was a very good day!  Yesterday I finally cleared all our projects and crap off the dining room table, and finally pulled the gorgeous jacquard tablecloth I brought back from Provence out of the closet. It's not a Christmas cloth per se, but should look fabulous with my Indo-market Christmas dishes.  Other than getting the icicle lights and garland out on the porch, I guess I'm done decorating.  Woohoo! Last night I helped represent The Bountiful Sprout at the Slow Money event over in Austin, which was fairly awesome.  Always good to see dedicated people trying to make a difference, to help counter-balance all the crap you see on the news.  Today we will be celebrating Outdoor Woman's big six-oh!  We were supposed to be climbing Enchanted Rock, but with this rain, we may have to come up with plan B.  Wow!  I guess the week wasn't a waste after all.  In fact, it was pretty darn wonderful!"

Want to discover the gems buried in your days and weeks?  All you have to do is pick up a pen!

Fun new journals that Santa left in my stocking.

No comments: