Wednesday, December 28, 2011

JOHN'S SUPER-DOOPER SECRET SURPRISE

I did it!  I finally did it!  I actually blew my hubby away with a wonderful Christmas present that he had no clue about!  And I didn't just shock and amaze him.  I made him Boo Hoo!  What was this splendiferous gift you ask?  Well, first you need some background.

If you recall, in the post called My Sentimental Soulmate, I told you that John hangs onto every memento, and I don't save much of anything.  I just can't see the point in having all that clutter spilling out from every available space in our small house.  I write stories and take pictures instead.  Last summer however, while at a party at High-School-Debbie's house, I happened to notice that my hubby was mesmerized by something of hers -- something which I had admired myself.  I called her a short time later and got the low-down on it, then Lexie and I went to work.

OK, somebody really needs to give me a lesson on how to photograph stuff that's behind glass with my little point and shoot camera!
Lex came over one day and we went on a little treasure hunt down in the Man Cave.  We dug through every one of my hubby's little hidey holes, pulling out a photo and a set of dog tags here...
a turquoise bracelet and a couple of glamorous cigarette holders there, then we loaded up our booty and took it over to our new artisan friend in San Marcos, to let her work her magic.  Here is what we ended up with:
All those little gee gaws have morphed from mere dust-catchers to works of art -- art which I am proud to have on display, and which brings a tear to my hubby's eye each time he sees it.  Best of all, it's art that tells a story.  It reminds my kids that their grandparents were so much more than the sick, feeble, somewhat grumpy people they remember, and someday it will tell our grandkids a bit about who and where they came from.

Though John didn't get to open them on Christmas, they did make a pretty dang wonderful Welcome-Home-From-The-Hospital gift. There's just one problem.  How will I ever top, or even come close to, this gift in years to come?

4 comments:

Teri H said...

What an awesome gift! Good job Becky!

david said...

Awesome. We watch Storage Wars and one of the guys took some "junk" (car wheel, a tire, etc) to an artisan and WOW were the results. I think I am being creative when I add the frosting to a cupcake in a counterclockwise direction.

Pamela Price said...

Love this! What a great gift.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I never could have done it without the framer lady's help. Figuring out just how to mount the different things was the real trick -- especially that long scarf!