Wednesday, November 30, 2011

MY SENTIMENTAL SOULMATE

Image from 123rf.com
My kids are both in committed relationships now, and it has got me to thinking a good bit about what makes a lasting match.  A lot of people assume that, in order to find their "soulmate", they have to find someone who is just like them -- someone who agrees with them on everything, enjoys doing all the same things, and wants to be with them all the time.  I see it more as being two pieces from the same jig-saw puzzle, and I ask you, what good would it do you to have two identical pieces?  Sure, you need to be from the same box -- have the same central theme and core of values, share a similar vision as to the picture you wish to be a part of -- but to be a good match you also need to fill in each other's gaps, so that the two of you together create something bigger and better than each of you did when alone.

If you have been reading this blog for long, you are bound to have noticed that my hubby and I are polar opposites on many, many things.  But that's okay, as long as we are in sync on the important things -- the deal breakers like morality and integrity, religion, anger management, parenting and money.  For instance, when it comes to hanging on to mementos, John is a total sap, and I am pretty hard-hearted.  To me, unless it's something useful, or which drives me color-mad, it's just "stuff", and if we don't really have room for it and it's getting in my way, then it is clutter, and needs to be got rid of. My hubby?  I think he'd hang on to a booger, if it had belonged to someone he loved.  But that's okay.  If not for him, my kids would end up without a single thing of historical or sentimental value.  If not for me, you might be seeing him on an upcoming episode of Hoarders.  Instead, we meet somewhere in the middle, and are both better for it.  We fit together like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

No comments: