Wednesday, February 2, 2011

UH OH

I've got a bad, baaaad feeling. Usually, whenever they're predicting a hard freeze for several nights in a row, and I'm here by myself, I go into panic mode. I run around disconnecting hoses, and putting those styrofoam titty things on all the outdoor faucets. If it's not expected to warm right back up during the day, I've even been known to drain all the water from the pipes leading to our rain tank, and cover any exposed pipes with thick quilts. It was a real pain in the tuckus, but I didn't want John blaming me for wrecking that expensive water catchment system!

A couple of weeks ago, when they were predicting "one of the coldest weeks in history" (which turned out to be rather lukewarm), I had to disconnect a Y-thingy from the pumphouse faucet in order to get the styrofoam cover on, and then couldn't get it reconnected afterwards. Guess I broke it somehow, 'cause when I asked John to try putting it back on this weekend, he ended up having to go to the hardware store to get a new one. Soooo, when they said it would be getting down into the teens the next several nights in a row, and John didn't seem at all concerned about it, I decided I wasn't going to worry about it either. I certainly didn't want to over-react again, or be accused of trying to tell him how to handle his own business, right?

Only, when I got up at 5:30 this morning, and went to fill my tea kettle, the water came out fine at first, but the stream got thinner and thinner with each passing second. Sure hope that doesn't mean what I think it does, don't you?

No comments: