Thursday, September 2, 2010

A SHOCKING DISCOVERY





I should probably save this for Color-Mad Monday, but I just couldn't wait that long to share it with you. It's much too exciting!

You see, a couple of weeks ago, I caught sight of something as we drove into our neighborhood. We have this little triangle-shaped

flowerbed at the entrance that has a few shrubs in it, but I'd never seen anything like this there before. In fact, it looked like the seeds of a cherry tomato vine might have been carried in and deposited, for there were quite a few orangey-red orbs draped over one of the shrubs. But no, that was no tomato my friends.

I finally made it back to take a closer look, and you won't believe what I found - it was this! Chinese Lantern Plant! (a.k.a. Winter Cherry or Bladder Cherry) The very same plant that I have owned in artificial-garland-form for years now, and which gets intertwined with my sweet gum garland each year as part of my fall decor. I had no idea it grew around here!

I did a bit of research here and discovered that its true name is Physalis alkekengi, it's part of the nightshade family, and it has a long history of herbal and medicinal uses. Is this cool, or what? Perhaps I should leave you with one of my favorite quotes, regarding what it means to be living your life with "Seasonality":

"Mother Nature's palette is a rich resource of inspiration for decorating your home. By bringing the seasons indoors with inexpensive personal flourishes, you will rarely grow tired of where you live." Sarah Ban Breathnach, from Simple Abundance

No comments: