Friday, May 28, 2010

THE MOST DANGEROUS ALBUM EVER RECORDED


In addition to my little robot clock, I got one other special gift from John this weekend - the CD version of the most dangerous album ever recorded. We still have our original vinyl version, but had never been able to find it on CD - until now. John finally came across it at Half-Price books recently, and even though it was an outrageous 25 bucks, he snapped it right up.

So, why do I call it the most dangerous album ever recorded? There are two reasons. First of all, it can make the most stalwart of girls go weak in the knees. Second, it's not just a recording, it's a magic time machine! I popped it into my Mini's cd player as I was heading out of Houston yesterday, and suddenly I was no longer in my car. First there was the smell of patchouli coming from somewhere, then I could actually see my 17 year old self standing in the doorway of John's little garage apartment, just a few blocks off from the UT campus. I'm gazing in wonder at the black-light posters, the orange-crate bookshelves filled with albums, stereo equipment, and water pipe, and that little twin bed covered in an exotic Indian bedspread from Pier I (which I later turned into a great dress). And that music! What on earth is that haunting melody? In a quavering voice, I'm telling him "Nice girls don't go into boy's apartments!" Hmmmmm. Guess I wasn't as nice as I always thought.

P.S. Many thanks to rateyourmusic.com for the above image.

2 comments:

musingegret said...

OMG, time machine is right-on!! As soon as the video started I was propelled back into my innocent 18 year old self who was cautiously entering the dorm room of the ROTC guy/undercover hippie with the "Would you buy a used car from this man? Nixon" poster on the door to the shared bathroom!

(He later became my first husband.)


Ahhhh....youth and innocence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Beautiful_Day

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/bad-men-often-inspire-good-art-and-richard-nixon-is-no-exception-1341896.html

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks for the link - I was wondering what became of them.