Thursday, March 25, 2010

IT'S A TOUGH LIFE

Just when I'm really getting into shoveling dirt, and have a whole day with nowhere I need to go and nothing I really need to do, we get a rain day. You can't work with dirt when it's wet. Well, you can, but it's a baaad idea. Not only is it heavy and difficult to handle, you also risk destroying all those nice little air pockets that are a necessary part of its structure. So, I had to stay indoors all day yesterday, just reading and writing and knitting. Poor me. (Can you believe I managed to type that with a perfectly straight face?) Always happy for rain though. Gotta keep that big ol' tank full, ya know!

The sun is out this morning, but I'm not sure how long it will take for the soil to dry out. Sure hope I can get the rest of it out of my truck and spread this afternoon. Otherwise it's gonna have to sit there until Monday! My oldest sister has decided to sell her house and move into something smaller, so I'm off to Dallas for a sibling meet-up. Time to sort through all Mom's stuff that is still piled in her garage. Should be fun. NOT! Lex is happy though. She's got an old high school buddy coming to town, so they get the house to themselves.

Oh well, as long as I have to wait for the soil to dry out, I suppose I could always wander over to King Feed, see if there are any new plants that I just gotta have...

2 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Gosh...I do feel bad for you having tp spend all day reading, writing and knitting. Bad....and more than a little bit jealous!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, there was that trip to the laundromat, with the stinky deer, if that makes you feel any better.