Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I WILL SURVIVE






We had a brief dip down to freezing temps again this week, but everything seems to have survived OK. In fact, I noticed leaves coming out on the live oak and Texas persimmon this morning, and did a little happy dance. Between the record heat and drought of last summer, record cold this winter, and the construction that went on all about their feet recently, I wasn't sure they'd make it. I'm foolishly certain that this was our last freeze of the season, and am giving myself permission to proceed full steam ahead!

The leafy winter veggies I planted a few weeks ago are growing like crazy! Each time I go check on them, they seem to be a couple of inches taller (those are just rain drops on their leaves, not anything nasty). The strawberries in the Topsy Turvy have a few blooms on them too. Unfortunately, the asparagus crowns I planted are showing no signs of life whatsoever. Perhaps I kept them indoors in their little paper sack a mite too long, before I finally got around to planting them?

This week was spent removing about 6 inches of the existing soil from one and a third more beds (I've moved over to the other side of the steps now, and those beds are looooooong!), fluffing and picking a million rocks out of what was left, raking it all smooth and putting down weed-block paper, fetching a half yard of Rose Soil from Gardenville (the extra acidity helps balance the alkalinity of the native stuff) in my itty-bitty truck, and then hauling it one bucket at a time, up the steps, to be dumped into the new beds. Good exercise!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Becky. It's soothing just to look at the pictures, it must be spectacular in the 3D HD known as real life.
Have you grown strawberries in the Topsy Turvy before? Did it work?
Sherri

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Sherri. No, this is my first time with the Topsy Turvy strawberries. I was inspired to give it a go by the fact that I grabbed a couple of hanging baskets planted up with strawberries at King Feed last year, and they produced some good fruit. One of them survived the winter by accident (I just forgot to throw it away) but never got fed or anything, so isn't putting on any blooms yet.