Friday, January 29, 2010

TAP INTO YOUR OWN BRILLIANCE V: OMMMMMMM...


Step #5 in Mary Jane Butters' Seven Wonders path to creativity? Meditate. Mary Jane says, "Make room in your schedule for five minutes of stillness and silent introspection once in the morning and once in the evening. You can spare that much time for getting to know yourself again, for falling in love with who you are. Shut the door, or better yet, get outdoors. No phone calls, no family matters. This is your time. Without the distractions of daily life, you can tune into your own longings. Lie back and watch the clouds. Jump on a trampoline at night and then "prone out" for a star count."

I've never been any good at the yogi type of meditation - just can't keep my body still, or my mind from drifting off. However, I am very good at both walking and sunrise meditations. I love being up before everyone else in the house, basking in the peace and quiet with a fragrant cup of tea, just letting my mind float where it will. Also, I'm fairly certain that all of those solitary walks I took when my kids were growing up, probably saved both my marriage and my sanity. So find a form of meditation that works for you, and make it a part of your life. Can't remember who said this, nor the exact words, but it must have been someone brilliant: "The most important requirement for creativity? Time for noodling!"

3 comments:

The Curious Holts said...

YES! we are kindred spirits...nothing saves my ass like a walk all by myself. ahhhh.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I've been trying to picture myself in a VW van with hubby and kids in Australia, as you've been for the last 6 weeks. It would have been a fantastic adventure for us all - but I think I would have needed to go walkabout on a regular basis!

Natural Girl Powers said...

A long walk alone is also a good PMS fighter too.