Wednesday, January 27, 2010

CANTINA GARDEN COLOR




Thanks to my collage creation, I ended up with a pretty good idea of how I wanted the Cantina Garden to look and feel - especially with regard to color. Yesterday it inspired me to grab a couple of cans of paint whilst at King Feed, which I then used to

refurbish my formerly blue metal planter. (There was a ledge of stone in the corner of one bed, that the masons were unable to remove - perfect for placing a heavy container on!) Then I grabbed a wind-chime and my bird-feeder named Lucy, from elsewhere on the property. It's not much, but it's a start. Now all I have to do is come up with the perfect plants to complement these pieces. Oh yeah, and then there's all that digging and spreading, too.

7 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

I love your colorful red cantina corner! You're off to a great start, and I'm sure you'll have even more fun picking out the plants. Now let's just hope for warmer weather and adequate rainfall.

d.a. said...

What fun color!

PLaneFancies said...

That big pot looks amazing. In polymer clay, we'd call the colors a Skinner blend (after Judith Skinner who figured out the technique). And the colors in the wind chimes and the wacky birdhouse are rich and fun. You're off to a very good start.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! Whenever I start any sort of design project, there's an initial period where I'm dragging my feet, thinking "I don't know if I can do this!", but then some little thing will jump out at me, either from a book or magazine, or on one of my "creative excursions", and suddenly I'm off and running. In this case, it was doing that collage a couple of posts ago, that set me off - now I'm revved up and ready to go! Got to hurry up and get that bed prepped for planting. Just dying to plant some Bright Lights Swiss Chard, with its day-glo stems, near or in that planter while the weather is still cool. Then for summer, I might trade it out for Canna Tropicana.
Pris: The last house had a tropical garden, so all my accessories were shades of blue - for water. I had an old bench that needed painting, so I got a deep blue spray paint, and one that was more aqua, and let the two colors overlap in the middle. Turned out fantastic, so thats what gave me the idea for this.

Casey said...

Looks gorgeous and like a fun space. Can't wait to see it with plants!

The Curious Holts said...

OH wow, that all looks WONDERFUL! Where on earth is Lucy from? I LOVE her. And a collage is a GREAT idea. I'm gonna do that too. Thanks!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Isn't she a hoot? The whole time we lived in Houston, I was merchandiser at a place called Buchanan's Native Plants, and that's where Lucy came from. But, that was several years ago, and they don't carry her any longer. I don't even remember who makes her.