Sunday, October 4, 2009

MUST BE THE SEASON OF THE FEST

Apparently, Texans aren't the only ones to go festival crazy in fall. We spent yesterday afternoon and evening at Middletown's annual "Mid Fest." Each year they pick a country and the local schools work learning all about that country into their curriculum throughout the year. The culmination is Mid Fest, when natives of that country are brought to town for a visit. While they are here they stay in local homes and drop into classrooms. At the festival they perform traditional dances, give lectures and demonstrations, and man food stalls where they sell native dishes. It's a great way for the people of a small town to be exposed to a broader view of the world. Guess which country they were celebrating this year? Indonesia! It certainly brought back some great memories. I can't download any of my pictures until I get home, but I will have a few for you then - though sadly, once again, I didn't think to take photos of our food until it was nothing but a memory! Mmmm, Chicken Sate' and Gado-Gado!

This afternoon we are heading in to Cincinnati for an art festival in Hyde Park, not too far from where my niece lives. In the meantime, we're filling up on my SIL's home-canned grape juice and pickles, fresh from the garden cucumbers and tomatoes, and made from scratch everything, including an award-winning, triple-layer, chocolate fudge birthday cake. She's never lived in the country, but she's definitely what Mary Jane Butter's would call "a farm girl at heart" - at least, in her kitchen she is!

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Your post titles are so evocative; untold times they've sent me scrambling to Google to research such esoteric topics as gnocchi recipes, life in Tuscany, cantina gardens, spiced nuts, etc.

This time you've got me hornswoggled. I've found the lyrics to Donovan's song, Season of the Witch:

When I looked out my window
Many sights to see
And when I looked in my window
So many different people to be
That is strange, so strange
You got to pick up every stitch Must be the season of the witch..."

And yet, and yet, I remember a paperback novel I read over 30 years ago (OMG !) that I thought had the same title and it was all about a young hippie girl who caught a bus to NYC and lived in a commune with a bunch of strange and wonderful people. I don't even remember the ending of the book, I just wanted to be that girl!

And here you are, in "Nati" and seeing great fall colors and going to a "mid-nation" fest and evoking memories again! Thank you, HCH. Safe journeys home.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I only wish that I had put that much thought or research into choosing a title! Alas, my kids and I were recently discussing the fact that each person on the planet has their own special little "Rain Man" talent or idiosyncrasy. They decided mine is that no matter what anyone says, it always causes a line from some song to pop into my head, and then, unfortunately, out of my mouth. There you have it - the true reason most of my blog titles come from songs! (and yes, it was Season of the Witch that popped into my head on this one)