Tuesday, September 15, 2009

WEB DJ'S

Have you ever read a good book that painted a very vivid picture in your imagination? And later, when it got made into a movie, it really messed with your mind, because the people and the settings just didn't jibe with the pictures you had in your head? That's what happened to me not long ago when I finally met blogger Redneck Mother in person. For some reason, I was expecting her to look much more, well, you know, red-necked! Tougher, taller, darker and more sun-roughened, able to lift a bale of hay and toss it into her pickup without breaking a sweat... It really took me by surprise to find her so blonde, petite, and feminine looking!

I suppose we bloggers are kind of like radio disc jockeys, in that we have a voice, but no face. Once you get to know our voice, you begin creating an image to go with it - an image that doesn't necessarily match up to reality. That's why it feels a bit strange when I meet another blogger, or when a reader meets me for the first time. I can't help but recall the many times when I became enamored with a DJ's voice as a teenager, only to think "What the x&%#!" when I finally saw them in person. I have no idea what picture my voice is painting for you, but I think you should keep in mind that I do have grown kids, and that many of those hi-lites you see in my hair are now gray, not blonde.

1 comment:

d.a. said...

Having worked in radio for a bit, I know what you mean. "You have a face for radio" always cracked me up.