Sunday, February 1, 2009

KNOCKING MY SOCKS OFF






One reason our marriage has remained exciting for almost 34 years now, is our ability to continually surprise one another. We will putter along like two peas in a pod for a period of time, finishing each other's sentences, and predicting what the other will say or do. Then, just when I am thinking "Wow, we've been married way too long. We're beginning to read one another's minds!", he goes and does something so out of character that it knocks my socks off.

Take last night for instance. As you may recall from previous postings, my husband has never had any interest whatsoever in cooking. So, I have always attended my various culinary adventures with one of my kids or a sibling. This time, however, my sister thought it would be fun to attend something as couples, so we signed up for a Mexican dinner class being taught by Sibby Barrett of Onion Creek Kitchens at Juniper Hills Farm. My first surprise was when John said "Sure, why not?" Perhaps he was curious about the house and grounds I had raved so much about, and he knew, if nothing else, he was bound to get a good meal out of the deal.

Now, the classes are fairly expensive, but each couple economized by signing one member up as a cook, and the other as an observer. It was assumed at first that the wives would cook, and the hubbies would spectate. Then I started to worry. Did you ever watch The Muppet Show? Remember the two old geezers who always sat up in the balcony and heckled everyone? Well, that's kind of what John is like when he's held captive somewhere and doesn't have enough to occupy his mind - like in church, maybe. When the kids were home and we still attended regularly, his greatest delight was to whisper something in my ear, so softly that no one else was aware of it, but which caused me to involuntarily burst out with a snort of laughter, making everyone in the sanctuary turn to stare at me, while he sat there with a self-satisfied smirk on his face! I could only imagine what tricks he might come up with, were he forced to sit directly behind me as I cooked, for several hours, on an uncomfortable bar stool.

So, Kathy and I decided to turn the tables. We would observe, and the hubbies would cook. That way, John would remain engaged in the event, and my hands would be free to take photos for my blog - a win-win situation! Now here's the part where I lose my socks: First, John agrees quite readily to the whole cockamamie idea. Second, he pays attention and puts forth real effort. Third, he interacts with his fellow students and is fairly gregarious. Fourth, the dish they prepare turns out quite well. And, last but not least? He enjoys himself enough to come over and give me a big hug, and volunteers to do it again with me, any time I want! What a guy.

P.S. That's the beautiful Sibby, wearing a bowl for some unknown reason! Don't you just love her assortment of KitchenAid mixers?

No comments: