Sunday, February 15, 2009

THE BEST VALENTINE'S DAY EVER


Yesterday was a landmark day. First of all, I got to come home to Wimberley, after being away for two weeks. Second, my honey was here waiting for me. Third, he knew that once I got home to my little house, I probably wouldn't want to get out again for a while, so he agreed to meet me in Austin (which I pass through, coming back from Dallas). We got to hang out in the bookstore for a while, went to see Coraline (Awesome!), and ate yummy Mexican food at Matt's El Rancho. When we finally got home, we spent the evening snuggled on the sofa. We read, we watched an old Clark Gable (Oops - I mean Carey Grant - see comment) movie (part of my gift to him), and he even stayed upstairs to watch Rosemary & Thyme with me, instead of wandering down to the bat cave to watch Sci-Fi. Best of all, though? He gave me the most amazing Valentine's gift ever - a gift certificate to Kiva. Which proves that my guy gets me. He really in truly gets me!

In case you are unfamiliar, Kiva is an organization that facilitates microloans, and has been featured on CNN. They allow you to lend to a specific entrepreneur in the developing world, thus empowering them to lift themselves out of poverty. Loans can be for any amount you are comfortable with, starting at a mere $25. For more information, visit the Kiva website. Below is a summary I found there:

How Kiva Works

Choose an Entrepreneur, Lend, Get Repaid

The below diagram shows briefly how money gets from you to a developing-world entrepreneur, and back.

1) Lenders like you browse profiles of entrepreneurs in need, and choose someone to lend to. When they lend, using PayPal or their credit cards, Kiva collects the funds and then passes them along to one of our microfinance partners worldwide.

2) Kiva's microfinance partners distribute the loan funds to the selected entrepreneur. Often, our partners also provide training and other assistance to maximize the entrepreneur's chances of success.

3) Over time, the entrepreneur repays their loan. Repayment and other updates are posted on Kiva and emailed to lenders who wish to receive them.

4) When lenders get their money back, they can re-lend to someone else in need, donate their funds to Kiva (to cover operational expenses), or withdraw their funds.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That is what Geoff and I gave each other for Christmas this year instead of traditional gifts! We chose people in Mali because I had a wonderful friend who was from that area and was given many wonderful opportunities at life. I felt that if I could give back to one person from his home country to better themselves - not just receive a handout, I think he would be looking down and smiling at me...

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ooh, maybe I can find someone from Indonesia to spend my certificate on, since that is so near and dear to our hearts!

The Old Man said...

Umm dear. That was a Carey Grant movie we watched not Clark Gable or Gary Cooper. Not sure why you get those guys mixed up. But that's ok, it was a great gift all the same and better watching it together.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, I knew what I meant, even if that's not what my fingers typed!

WomenBloom said...

Sounds like a lovely V-day! And, how did you like Coraline, I really want to see that.

I've heard of Kiva but hadn't really investigated, thanks for the summary!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I hesitate to rave about a movie, because that gets one's expectations up so high that you're bound to be let down. However, when you thank about what went into producing a stop action film like that (think Gumby to the nth degree)...well, it was pretty awesome. Amazing attention to detail.