Thursday, July 24, 2008

EXILE, DAY 5

I have always heard that you cannot become a good writer until you are willing to write about the difficult and embarassing parts of your life, too. For me, that would be my parents. Up until now, I have never been willing or able to deal with them. I loved them, and they loved me. There was no doubt in my mind about that. However, they also drove me crazy, and you could never understand who I am today without knowing about them, for they were the force that shaped me. I always thought I would wait until after they were both gone before turning over an honesty leaf, but since there is absolutely no chance that Mom will ever read this blog, and I think I can trust all of you not to intentionally hurt her by sharing any of this with her, I am going to be brave. . .

On our way to Prima Care, Mom changed her mind. She was afraid they wouldn't have the proper equipment to take care of her, and wanted to go to the ER instead. She has been to the ER about a hundred times, and she knows the drill by heart, as do we all. In spite of all that, she has never stopped believing that she is somehow more special than anyone else who might also be waiting there, that everyone would recognize that fact this time, and then they would bend over backwards to accomodate her. She was sadly disappointed yet again. The good news is that, after about 5 hrs.of Mom pitching hissy fits because they weren't taking her right in, and saying nasty things about everyone in the waiting room, in a very loud voice, they finally told us that it was nothing more than a sprain. Boy, was she disappointed.

Unfortunately, Mom loves a sympathetic audience, and with each new person who came up to ask her questions, her story got bigger and better. She is completely unable to discern what is appropos to this specific event, and what is totally unrelated, so she told them everything that's ever happened to her, and made it sound like it was all part of this one falling incident. When they asked if she had any head pain, she said "Yes, I have EXCRUCIATING headaches!" Finally I said "Woah, Mom. Stop a minute! You have to clarify that, and explain that you've had those headaches for years, and not as a result of this fall!" She said "But these are new headaches! They're different!"

As a result, after the doctor explained that the shoulder was no biggey, she continued with "But we are really concerned about why she is still falling and having these headaches, even after they took her off the coumadin, so I'm ordering brain scans, blood work, urine work... She could have bleeding in her brain from the coumadin, or a deadly bladder infection, or.... " And this was at 6:00, when we'd already been there 5 hours and thought we were about to go home. Mom and I both started crying. She, just because she was tired and hungry. Me, because I now had visions of them keeping her overnight, just when I'm supposed to be fetching Carolyn home from the hospital. I finally begged "Couldn't we please go home and have her regular physician run these tests?" The doctor was not happy about this decision, but finally agreed, after making me sign papers saying I am removing her from the hospital against their recommendation, and I have sworn that I would get the testing done elsewhere.

I am probably going to be arrested for elder abuse, but right now, I really don't care! Mom had pitched a fit in the ER about needing to leave because she was diabetic and needed her dinner and her medicine and her shots right this instant!, but then got pissed with me because I wouldn't go out of my way to stop and get her some apricot fried pies on the way home. Also, she asked "Did you write that doctor's name down? I really liked her. She's not like my regular doctor. She paid attention to what I was telling her. I want to come back to her for all my tests." She just doesn't believe me when I tell her that she will have to wait in line with all the peons for another 10 or 12 hours if she does.

P.S. This morning she hasn't mentioned a word about shoulder pain or having a bad night because of it. It's almost as if it never happened. No, now she has zeroed in on something new - the excruciating head pains that the nice ER doctor was so concerned about, and what tragic malady might be causing them!

8 comments:

Christopher said...

That's quite a story. It almost sounds as if your mom has Munchausen syndrome. (I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.) Though in truth, people are highly suggestible when it comes to medical issues. Most doctors I know hate it when 20/20 or Dateline runs a story about health, because the next day all the crazies come out of the woodwork with that exact illness. Imagine the odds!

I can't help but wonder, which is more difficult -- raising your children or raising your parents?

Hill Country Hippie said...

My kids were a breeze by comparison. And why do you think I love your Mom so much? She understands exactly what it's like to deal with parents that just don't get it!

Price said...

HCH - Good on you for working to process your feelings. It'll help.

Christopher - OMG, LOL about the Holiday Inn Express...too funny. And your final question? Really hit home...

Hill Country Hippie said...

Did I miss something in the news lately, about doctors and Holiday Inn Express?

Polly said...

I've been lurking and enjoying your blog for several weeks but now I have to come out into the open and ask - Is it possible that we are twins, separated at birth? It seems we have the same mother. My mom is 84, and the biggest hypocondriac you've ever seen. Every pain is *the worst she's ever had*. She doesn't eat anything except sweets, doesn't drink water or anything remotely healthy,(isn't Lipton Iced Tea mix healthy? It has water in it...) and then wonders why she feels so *weak* all the time. After 6 trips to the ER in 2 weeks, where they found absolutely nothing wront with her (she had the folks at the assisted living place completely buffaloed), my sister and I put our foot (feet) down and said *no more!* We discovered that she could be distracted into forgetting the symptom-du-jour and in a matter of minutes, everything would be hunky dory again. My Marine son came home on leave and during a visit with Grandma, witnessed one of her *spells.* He was a little concerned, but even more when he heard me say briskly *Mom, there is nothing wrong with you. You are fine. Now get up, let's get you into your chair and have a glass of juice* After we left, he said *Geeze, Mom. You were kinda mean to Grandma!*

Good luck!
Polly

Hill Country Hippie said...

Actually, I think our MOTHERS must be twins who were separated at birth!!! So glad you came out of hiding Polly.

Becky

Eveline Maedel said...

I vote for raising your parents as being the most difficult - maybe because by the time you get to that point in your life where the tables have turned and you are looking after them, you are already fried from just having raised your kids! If you are lucky, your kids are becoming more independent and that's just when your parents become more "dependent".....then there's that whole mother/daughter thing, which don't even get me started on that right now :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Eveline - that's IF you are lucky enough to get your kids raised before the parents start going downhill. When John's father had his big stroke, our kids were in elementary school, and John's only sibling was across the country. Now that was tough. I'm so grateful that my life is flexible enough now that I can come and help out when needed.