Sunday, June 29, 2008

IN PURSUIT OF PASSION

I can't believe it. I now have 13 blogs bookmarked at the top of my computer screen, and feel compelled to go visiting each and every morning. And the number continues to grow! Not only do I check them each for new postings, I also read the comments, occasionally leave one myself, then am forced to return later, to check and see if anyone responded to my comment. What has come over this dedicated luddite?

One blog in particular has me puzzled. It's called Orangette (http://orangette.blogspot.com/). Whenever the author does get around to posting, which isn't often, instead of receiving one or two comments like the rest of us, she usually gets fifty or more! Too many to even bother reading, truthfully. And there's no point in leaving one of my own, for it would just get lost in the crowd. As I understand it, the reason she posts so infrequently is that she is too busy putting the final touches on her book. The one that came about as a result of her blog.

I wonder sometimes if she doesn't miss the days when she used to write just for the sheer joy of it, with no pressure or deadlines. Does she pine for the time when each and every comment left was a jewel to be savored, read, and reread? What was it that set her blog apart from the masses, causing it to soar in popularity and grab the attention of the publishing world? Was it the pastry recipes she learned in France? The artful photos of white on white table settings, conjuring up visions of European bistros and cafes? Or was it that one just became caught up in her story, and had to see how it turned out?

And so, I have decided to undertake a journey. I have traveled back to the beginning, and am working my way forward. I have gone back to the time, four years ago, when she had just returned from her life altering sojourn in France, decided to abandon plans for pursuing a PhD, and pursue instead her passions for food and writing....back to that very first day, when she sat down at her computer and typed the words "It's awfully quiet in here."

4 comments:

The Midlife Gals said...

Hello from The Midlife Gals! LOVE your blog, and the definition of hippie has changed for us all, hasn't it. That CHATEAU in the hill country is a step up from hippiedom, yes?

We're delighted you found our blog and don't forget to check out our videos along the right side of our pages. How did you find us?

And, that one-finger wave is one of my fondest memories of west Texas. It's not gay, it's CODE for, "Hidy, ha'r yeeuuww? Hope yer mama'n them is good too. Have a great day and thanks fer bein on this road so I could see another human bein."

:O)
KK 'n SalGal

Hill Country Hippie said...

It may look like a chateau in the photo, but actually, there's only 4 main rooms, as the house is just one room deep. The carport out back makes it look like one massive structure from a distance, doesn't it? And since this is our first time to deal with wells, drought that makes wells go dry, septic systems that want you to feed them beer via the bathtub, and deer that help themselves to everything we plant, it feels sorta rustic-commune-like to us!

Hill Country Hippie said...

OH yeah, and I found you thanks to Allison, at Women Bloom.

WomenBloom said...

I really like this post, HCH! I love writing but I'm getting quite a taste of what it's like to write even when you're not feeling wildly inspired. I still love it but see the difference when I'm 'into' it versus just having to get it done.

Cool that you went back to O's early days, be interested to know if you found their tone different...

And, KK and SalGal, I can just hear you sayin' Hidy thar! Ha'r yeeuww...you crack me up!