Tuesday, April 8, 2008

MIGAS A LA MEGAN

When Megan and Ben were here visiting, we took them to Wimberley Cafe one morning for breakfast. Pictured is waitress extraordinaire, Nicole. My favorite dish there is Migas, and I wanted to introduce our northern relatives to this Tex-Mex specialty. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked afterwards when Megan said "Well, those were pretty good, but I think my version is better." I made her send me the recipe, so we can check to see if her claim is true. She said the key to her success is something called Sofrito. I had heard that term before, referring to the combination of sauteed onions, garlic and chopped carrot that is the starter for most soups, however she explained that this Sofrito is a product that you can buy ready-mixed in the Mexican food section of your grocery store. So, here is her recipe. Try it and see what you think:

Chop 1/2 onion and saute in a little oil until soft, then throw in about 4 corn tortillas that have been chopped small. Continue cooking until the tortillas start to crisp. Whisk 5 or 6 eggs in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste, then stir in 1 or 2 T. of the Sofrito. Add egg mixture to the pan, stirring gently until they begin to set. Top with a mixture of grated cheddar and jack cheeses.

No comments: